WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET INVOLVED?
Organise an event – live music, poetry, comedy, theatre, DJ. You could also organise a protest, boycott, stunt or photocall. The event is yours to do with what you like. In order to use the WE SHALL OVERCOME banner all we ask is that :
- The event is either free or by voluntary donation and accessible to all
- Any donations go to support a local foodbank or project that is directly helping those affected by austerity and cuts
- Any awareness raising or campaigning is directly related to an anti-austerity message.
If you are a singer, a band, a venue, a promoter or indeed anyone willing to pitch in and get involved then please do. If you run a regular Folk Club or Open Mic and can convert your event that week into a We Shall Overcome collection, then please get in touch.
This year we are running a full week of events from Monday 3rd to Sunday 9th October inclusive, although many places have already borrowed the weekend of 1st/2nd also.
THERE’S ALREADY AN EVENT WHERE I LIVE. CAN I DO ANOTHER ONE?
Yes, absolutely. The more the merrier. Just check in with other organisers and let them know what you’re up to.
WHAT CAUSE SHALL I SUPPORT?
You know your communities better than we do, so you decide on who needs it most on your streets. It could be the food bank, it could be a homeless outreach centre, a soup kitchen, a Women’s Refuge, a local ‘Against the cuts’ campaign group. We don’t mind just so long as your cause supports those affected by Austerity and your community needs it.
DOES MY EVENT HAVE TO BE POLITICAL?
The level at which you promote your event as such will vary venue to venue, but there’s no escaping the fact that just by running a WSO event you are making a political statement. You are taking a stand against Austerity – something that is directly hurting people in your community. Standing up against Austerity is a political act in and of itself, but we are not party political and we are not aligned to any political party.
OK, I’M IN. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
It’s up to you how you proceed but we’d ask just four things of you.
1. Let us know about your event. You can register it here.
2. Download the graphics and use them in your publicity.
3. Decide which local cause you are supporting. If you are collecting something other than cash (ie food, clothing) we suggest you contact the organisation and ask about the type of donations they need.
4. Promote We Shall Overcome online
Facebook : Share the group
Twitter : Follow us @WeShallWeekend Hashtags #weshallovercomeweekend #wsow
You Tube : Tag your band videos with “We shall overcome weekend”